11/11/11 Dedication group build-Post your submissions here?

Member's Area Group Builds
For all modelling group builds

Re: 11/11/11 Dedication group build-Post your submissions he

Postby AndrewDoppel » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:52 pm

Here's mine;

Type: De Havilland Mosquito FB.VI
Serial: A52-500 NA-A
Based: No. 1 Squadron, RAAF, Kingaroy, Qld., Morotai and Labuan (SWPA) circa 1945
Scheme: All over silver with RAAF national markings
Kit: 1/24 Airfix with resin cast wheels, Master .303 Cal Browning and 20mm Hispano barrel replacements. Scratch seat belts. Painted in Humbrol Silver No. 11, Humbrol Interior Green 78 and mix and mash of other Humbrol, Model Master and Tamiya Enamels

Regards
Andrew Doppel

AMI Moderator
AndrewDoppel
Devotee

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:49 pm

That came up a treat mate. Very nicely done :)
Brother: Do you really need that many Phantoms?
Me: Don't make me kick you outta the shed for asking dumb questions
Brother: But are you gonna build all these models?
Me: Yeah of course I am. Now get outta my shed

#1 F-4 Phantom Phanatic
hrtpaul
Devotee

Postby AndrewDoppel » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:55 pm

Cheers Paul
Regards
Andrew Doppel

AMI Moderator
AndrewDoppel
Devotee

Postby qfa_tsv » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:10 pm

Boy that big scale Mozzie looks a treat
Graeme
qfa_tsv
Devotee

Postby asho77 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:40 am

So this is any aircraft used by the ADF from 1911 to today,any scale,any format (stand alone/diorama/vignette)?? I have a few ideas but just wanted to confirm the concept.
asho77
Devotee

Postby ronnieraaf » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:07 pm

Nav76 wrote: I think a RAAF Mustang from the Italian campaign may be my effort, or maybe a Spitfire or Kittyhawk. Will wait to see what Andrew comes back with though.

I hope you don't steal my thunder there Nav :D I have an 3sqn P-51 in the works right now. I'm doing the new Tamiya 1/32 Mustang and it will be finished as CV*P in NMF. I’m just doing the wings now.

Seeing how the only aircraft I build are RAAF and I have a display case full to choose from, this just may have to be my first ever group build.

Wait out.
Stay frosty,
Jason Carrick
ronnieraaf
Devotee

Postby AndrewDoppel » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:18 pm

Without bumping my original post in the model forum this is a dedication to all ADF troops from all conflicts. It can be from air, sea or land but must be Australian related and can include Boer War being our earliest conflict to Afganistan our latest.
Regards
Andrew Doppel

AMI Moderator
AndrewDoppel
Devotee

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:36 pm

WOO HOO Yes I actually got it finished in time 8-) A few pics of my contribution to the group build. This is A68-110 masquarading as A68-769 of 82 Squadron RAAF, Iwakuni, Japan in 1947. I chose this particular aircraft cos I've been for a ride in the real thing :twisted: and I like the "Snifter" noseart.

Brother: Do you really need that many Phantoms?
Me: Don't make me kick you outta the shed for asking dumb questions
Brother: But are you gonna build all these models?
Me: Yeah of course I am. Now get outta my shed

#1 F-4 Phantom Phanatic
hrtpaul
Devotee

Entry #1, 1/48 DB-7 Boston "Spirit of Sport" RAAF 1943

Postby graham121 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:00 pm

Ok, I'll chime in with two, here is the first :-

Kit - ITALERI 1/48 A-20B Boston III
Decals Aussie Decals A48015 plus Eagle Strike/Aeromaster 48202 Marauding Havocs Part 1
Eduard PhotoEtch 48151
True Details Wheels and Liferaft 48059 - the liferaft was modified as the RAAF carried theirs in a rubberised cloth bag with the a/c serial number stencilled on top
Verlinden Cyclone 2600 Radial Engine and Fronts 1183
Red Roo Models Tropical Boston Cowls and exhaust stacks RRR48129
Master .50cal barrels
Aires .303 Brownings x 5
Bomb racks from Tamiya Mosquito B IV

Scratch built - bomb bay, bomb bay door actuators, rear gunners station, main undercarriage bays including oil coolers, ventral gun position, additional detail to uncowled engine, lower engine cowl flaps (closed open side, partly open the other), additional switches, controls and placards in cockpit, wingtip formation and navigation lights, latches and stays for pilots hatch, wheelhubs, armoured windscreen, open side cockpit window.

Other major fixes - main gear legs moved 4mm forwards, nose gear made 2mm longer to give nose up stance, 10 degree dihedral for tailplanes - kit comes with about 7 degrees.

Paint : - The were painted using Dupont 'matches' for RAF colours as they were orginally for the RAF, then transferred to the Dutch and diverted to the RAAF as the Dutch East Indies fell before the boats carrrying them got there!!
For Dupont Sky 71-021 undersurface I used Gunze H311 FS36622 Light Grey
For Dupont Dark Earth(Sandy Earth) 71-009 I used Gunze H310 FS30219 Brown
For Dupont Dark Green 71-013 I used a 50:50 mix of Gunze H309 FS34079 Dark Green and H302 FS34092 Medium/Foliage Green
For the lighter 'local' green used around the nose Lifecolor UA008 FS34092 was used.

22 Sqn operated these planes out of Port Moresby and then Goodenough Island, both a long way from any maintenance depots. As such these planes became heavily weathered and generally all round very grubby. To emulate this I have used a variety of washes, pigments, chipping and oil based filters.

Suffice to say I had a few challenges to overcome on the way, most of which were related to aftermarket stuff not being quite right the right size (engines would not fit in nacelles), wheels (spoked not with hubcaps) etc

But here she is, my tribute to Flight Lieutentant William 'Bill' Ellis Newton VC who usually flew this plane before he was shot down in another Boston A28-3 on 18th March 1943. This plane was subsequently lost on 14th September 1943.

Graham
graham121
Devotee

Entry #2 Academy 1/72 PBY-5A Catalina RAAF 42 Sqn 'Black Cat

Postby graham121 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:02 pm

Lost off Sumba Island, Netherlands East Indies. 1945-01-15. Consolidated Catalina aircraft, serial no. A24-96, code RK-E of No. 42 Squadron RAAF, was destroyed by machine-gun fire. On the night of 14 January 1945, during a mission to Surabaya, a plane from No. 42 Squadron RAAF, captained by Flight Lieutenant (Flt Lt) Harrigan, experienced trouble with its port engine and immediately began to lose altitude. At the time Flt Lt Harrigan was flying at 300 feet below heavy cloud off Sumba Island. He jettisoned his mines, but the plane continued to lose altitude and he was forced to alight on the open sea. The hull of the Catalina aircraft was damaged and began to leak. However, the water was kept down by baling. Using the radio-telephone, the crew was able to make its position known to returning minelayers. All night they worked on the faulty engine, but without success. However, in the morning, a Catalina aircraft of No. 43 Squadron RAAF, captained by Flt Lt Ortlepp, landed in the heavy swell, covered by a Liberator aircraft, and took off Flt Lt Harrigan's crew. Flt Lt Ortlepp then destroyed the disabled Catalina aircraft with machine-gun fire and returned safely to base."*

* text copied from www.adf-serials.com

This is my 1/72nd Academy PBY-5A with just a set of seat belts cut from Tamiya Tape.

The finish is made up of a number of mixes of Black, Red Brown and Blue Angels Blue, further weathering is with buff and light grey and a filter of oil paints to add further localised wear and staining.

Graham
graham121
Devotee

PreviousNext