A Spitfire suggestion

Sponsor's Area Red Roo Models
An area for Red Roo Models to make announcements about new products, upcoming products, sales and other information.

Moderators: Redroo, erussell

A Spitfire suggestion

Postby jvenables » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:36 pm

I just read Brett Green's review of the new Airfix 1/48 scale Spitfire Vb. Like him, my first reaction was "Shame it isn't a Mk.Vc".

Looking at the kit parts, I suggest it may be feasible to produce new (resin or injection) Mk.Vc upper wing halves and cannon barrels. The kit already contains the Vokes filter, so that should be a pretty neat and popular conversion for what seems like an excellent kit.

1/48 scale isn't normally my thing but a few Spit Vc's in RAAF colours would easily coerce me across to that scale for a while!
jvenables
Devotee

Re: A Spitfire suggestion

Postby harvs73 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:25 pm

I personally reckon Airfix will release a Vc so we can have all the variants we really need for RAAF Acft. More variety in Spitfire Vb markings would be good on top of those already put out by Red Roo.
David Harvey
Editor
Aussie Modeller International

Email: aussiemodeller@hotmail.com

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au
harvs73
Site Admin

Postby jvenables » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:05 pm

David, I certainly agree that Airfix will probably follow up with a Vc, but it may take them a couple of years.

In the meantime, there remains an excellent opportunity for Red Roo to step in and fill the gap, providing parts for us keen Spit aficionados and profits for their business. Just a suggestion, gents...
jvenables
Devotee

Postby erussell » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:56 pm

We had precisely this discussion last week, looking at a couple of the new Airfix Vb's - ordered just for this purpose. We are kind of torn between the undoubted facts that Airfix will indeed release a Vc (three months or three years?) and the fact that a Red Roo Vc wing with a decal set would be a good seller...... decisions, decisions......

It's in the eye of the beholder, but, to my mind, Vb's did not have as wide a range of interesting markings as Vc's. Feel free to come up with suggestions......
Ed Russell @ Red Roo Models (redroomodels.com)
erussell
Devotee

Postby jvenables » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:14 pm

If my memory is correct, Airfix seem to have about a 12-24 month lag period between releases based on a common kit over recent years. I'm thinking of the Swordfish vs Swordfish floatplane; P-51D vs. F-51D; Lancaster B.III (Sp) vs. B.II vs. B.I/B.III. I'm not familiar with what they have done in 1/48 scale (other than their new Spits) since I generally stick to 1/72.

I have no idea how long it would take you to get a conversion onto the market but I suppose you'd have to decide whether most modellers will be prepared to patiently wait for the likelihood of an Airfix Vc or whether they want to add to their RAAF Spitfire collection ASAP.
jvenables
Devotee

Postby harvs73 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:07 pm

I still have one of the Red Roo Tamiya Vc conversions to use and several Special Hobby/Classic Airframes Vc's to build so I am more tempted just for the Vb as is rather than convert it at this stage.
David Harvey
Editor

harvs73
Site Admin

Postby harvs73 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:07 am

A2zee models have just put out several types of clipped wing conversions for the Airfix Vb to Vc.

http://www.a2zeemodels.co.uk/alley-cat- ... -232-c.asp
David Harvey
Editor

harvs73
Site Admin

Postby jvenables » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:00 pm

Hmmm. Just saw that myself. Oh well, no point pursuing that now...
jvenables
Devotee