Sukhoi SU-26: references needed

Member's Area Member's Forum
Discussion of all things modelling.

Sukhoi SU-26: references needed

Postby TOR » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

Hi guys,
I have just recently been given a neat little 1:72 resin Sukhoi SU-26 kit, (and thanks very much Adam, much appreciated mate :D ).

The trouble is that good close-up reference shots of this cool little aeroplane seem to be a little hard to come by. I have done the net search (Airliners.net etc), but, while there are some nice photos out there, they are not exactly what I need to do this little model justice, (eg: close-ups of engine and undercarraige detsils etc). So I was wondering if any AMIers had some good detail shots of this kick-arse little Russkie aeroplane??.
Are there any of these little Suks based in the Melbourne area that I could perhaps go and get my own close-up photos of???
While on the subject of dedicated aerobatic aircraft-types....is it just me, or is this exciting, colourful, and charismatic area of recreational aviation poorly catered for by the model industry. What aerobatic-type kits, aftermarket decals and parts etc have actually been produced???. I would have thought that, given the the high profile nature and popularity of events such as the Reno and Red Bull Air Races, these types would be a little better-represented in the model world.
TOR
PS: any assitance with references would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by TOR on Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TOR
Devotee

Re: Sukhoi SU-26: references needed

Postby TonyP » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:58 pm

TOR wrote:Hi guys,
The trouble is that good close-up reference shots of this cool little aeroplane seem to be a little hard to come by. I have done the net search (Airliners.net etc), but, while there are some nice photos out there, they are not exactly what I need to do this little model justice, (eg: close-ups of engine and undercarraige detsils etc). So I was wondering if any AMIers had some good detail shots of this kick-arse little Ruskie aeroplane??.

I'll have a look in my photos Ray.

Are there any of these little Suks based in the Melbourne area that I could perhaps go and get my own close-up photos of???

Not that I am aware of.
While on the subject of dedicated aerobatic aircraft-types....is it just me, or is this exciting, colourful, and charismatic area of recreational aviation poorly catered for by the model industry.

No it's not you. :lol:
What aerobatic-type kits, aftermarket decals and parts etc have actually been produced???. I would have thought that, giventhe the high profile popularity of events such as the Reno and Red Bull Air Races, these types would be a little better-represented in the model world.
TOR

Ray I think the same way as you. Would love some kits of aerobatic machines (MXS's etc) but instead of 1/72 I would rather 1/48 and bigger. I was speaking to a guy in Germany who was producing large scale resin kits but I haven't heard from him in two years.
The only main stream kits are the Pitts by AZmodels in 1/48 and the 1/72 PLatz Pitts.

Although I do have this. Not a model though:
IMG_20130425_135305.jpg
IMG_20130425_135305.jpg (81.49 KiB) Viewed 3166 times

Tony
Join us at Modelling the RAAF, RAN and AAAvn
https://www.facebook.com/groups/836070456430404/
TonyP
Devotee

Postby TOR » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:52 pm

G'day Adam,
Mate...thanks so much for posting these photos, all very helpful and useful indeed.
"Jurgis doing mental stuff" is just friggen amazing...at least when Matt Hall did this, ( but touched the water :shock: ), he was right-side-up!!!. I know two blokes who very recently did an equally impressive "under the Westagate Bridge" excursion in an A330 Sim ;) , (can't remember if that was before or after the big A330 was lined up on approach to the USS Nimitz :D ).
The "crash" photo is also mind-blowing.....still airborne with half the aeroplane gone...just bloody amazing!!!
I like the Suk at the 88 Richmond Airshow..I think this might be the colour scheme I elect for my little 1:72 beauty, (and thanks again, this little resin kit has me captivated).
I don't mind being "corrupted"... cross-pollination of the different areas-of-interest in aviation is a good and healthy thing I think. A good example of this is my enduring fascination with the "Big Props"...there was a time I was never really particualrly interested in them, until Knotty taught me to appreciate, admire, and respect them. Now I think big C-119s, C-97s, C-46s, DC-7, etc are just awesome, magnificent, and beautiful beasts, and I never get tired of being around them and playing in them!!!, (ya gotta love that rich mix of old aeroplane smells...nothing like it!!!)
Thanks again Adam, I have enjoyed your posts.
TOR
PS: and thanks also to Tony. Lets start a campaign to get the model manufacturers to produce some of these brilliant and sexy little aeroplanes.....oh and BTW, some of their drivers are not bad either 8-)
TOR
Devotee

Postby TOR » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:57 pm

Hi Tony,
That Red Bull Racer is lovely....what's it's story???
TOR
TOR
Devotee

Postby AndrewInOZ » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:02 am

Probably not as good as the others above or on Airliners.net

here is some photo's i have uploaded to the APMA account

https://picasaweb.google.com/1007256980 ... khoiSu26M#
AndrewInOZ
Devotee

Postby WedgieSock2 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:55 am

Nikolai Nikitiuk it was in 1988.
Austorientales Boganexterius - narrantes populus , quomodo se habet, quoniam MCMLXXV
WedgieSock2
Devotee

Postby TOR » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:27 am

WedgieSock2 wrote:Nikolai Nikitiuk it was in 1988.

I beg to differ Warren...don't know where you are getting your info from, but my research indicates that it was in actual fact 1988 World Champion, Eugeniy Frolov who so spectacularly flew the SU-26 M at the 1988 Australian Bicentennial Airshow, (Ref: The Australian Bicentenial Airshow by Chevron Publishing Group).
TOR
TOR
Devotee

Postby TonyP » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:56 am

I am going to dust off my VHS copy of the official airshow video. I am sure he is named. Remember watching that display and the wow factor of the aircraft spinning on its back. Will report later!
Join us at Modelling the RAAF, RAN and AAAvn
https://www.facebook.com/groups/836070456430404/
TonyP
Devotee

Postby TOR » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:27 pm

WedgieSock2 wrote:[ Eugeniy was not World Champ in 1988.

Warren ....perhaps you need to talk to the good people at Chevron Publishing.

TOR
TOR
Devotee

Postby AndrewInOZ » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:57 pm

oh come on guys... its a day after ANZAC day..why cant everyone be polite around this time.

All this fussing & fueding is worse than the Hatfields & the McCoys , Howard / Keating debates or Capt Kirk Vs Khan

If the Turks & Austraia can bury the bayonet so soon after WW1 why can't we all get a long just bit.. at least around this time..we are all better than this right?

sorry for butting in

re Su-26 ... A- model did a Su-26 in 1/72 ..i think i have it, being A-model probbaly wont be a breeze
AndrewInOZ
Devotee

Next