Airbrushing - Maintenance of/Painting Problems (Article)

Member's Area Hints and Tips Airbrushing and painting
An area for members to pass on any hint's and tips relating to airbrushing and painting of model related subjects.

Airbrushing - Maintenance of/Painting Problems (Article)

Postby A30_737_AEW&C » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:44 am

--deleted--
Last edited by A30_737_AEW&C on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alfred
Taking the system more seriously than the system takes itself

A30_737_AEW&C
Devotee

Re: Airbrushing - Maintenance of/Painting Problems (Article)

Postby Zaggy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:05 am

Ultrasonics! DUH! Why didn't I think of that sooner? I have an ultrasonic bath for cleaning carbon/burnt propellant out of Brass, but never even considered using it for air brushed!

As for my cleaning regime, I'll usually shoot most of the colours of a camo scheme, with a good blast of airbrush cleaner and a 'field strip' clean between colours, then a full disassembly clean once I'm done. For clear coats (always Alclad), I use a different airbrush (a second Badger 155) and go a full disassembly every time.

Dan
Zaggy
Devotee

Postby Calum » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:50 pm

I use an ultrasonic form time to time. I strip the airbrush and immerse the parts in lacquer or GP thinners and give it 5 mins in the ultrasonic.

One thing I've started doing only recently, and it's made the clean up so much quicker, is once I've removed and cleaned the needle, and blown through with clean thinners is to give the needle a squirt of CRC 556 (like WD 40) before reinserting it into the airbrush.

I've found the CRC stops any paint sticking to the needle, so I'm assuming as no paint is stuck to the needle, then no (or very little) paint is sticking to the internal bore of the airbrush. The 556 has no affect on the paint (I use acrylics or acrylic lacquers 90% of the time)

I only oil the needle at the end of the session, sometimes I can shoot 6 or more colours in one session, between colours I just shoot a small bit of clean thinners.

The 556 also stops the Airbrush gumming up if you don't clean it properly (which for me is common).

Here's a link me cleaning the airbrush using an ultarsonic

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/me ... 652&type=3
Calum
Devotee

Postby Zaggy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:59 am

Thats also another brilliant little suggestion - how much CRC do you use and do you wipe it over before reassembly? Kind of reminds me of cleaning firearms (if you're going to use it, spray your oil (or WD spray on certain parts), then wipe it off with an oily rag (so its still slightly lube'd to the touch); if you're going to store it, spray it on and leave it)...

Dan
Zaggy
Devotee

Postby Calum » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Zaggy wrote:Thats also another brilliant little suggestion - how much CRC do you use and do you wipe it over before reassembly? Kind of reminds me of cleaning firearms (if you're going to use it, spray your oil (or WD spray on certain parts), then wipe it off with an oily rag (so its still slightly lube'd to the touch); if you're going to store it, spray it on and leave it)...

Dan

I just give it a decent squirt and leave it one. Most of it will be removed as the needle passes through the airbrush.

I also use a drop of CLP (teflon based lubricant I liberated in the early 1990's used to clean guns) on the valve from time to time
Calum
Devotee

Postby Zaggy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:48 pm

I use a teflon lube for magazines (because it sort of dries, but still stays slick)... Sweet... :)
Zaggy
Devotee