First on the scene - C130 Hercules

Member's Area Reviews Publication reviews
An area for reviews of all publications that would be of interest to your fellow modellers.

First on the scene - C130 Hercules

Postby AndrewDoppel » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:21 pm

I got this book as a Christmas present on advice from an ex-RAAF loady who happened to be at Richmond with my father-in-law when he was in charge of 486 Squadron. This is a magnificent publication with 80+ sketch drawings by William Wells of Hercules operations at RAAF Base Richmond in the late 90s, along with other little tidbits of interesting events in the Herculean history whilst with the RAAF as well as specs on each of the 4 variants operated and histories of 36 & 37 Squadrons.

It is a limited run publication and I managed to get mine for $35 delivered from Vicroy Books in Queensland. Here's an image of the front cover and some other details if interested;

http://airpower.airforce.gov.au/publica ... Wells.aspx
Regards
Andrew Doppel

AMI Moderator
AndrewDoppel
Devotee

Re: First on the scene - C130 Hercules

Postby ronnieraaf » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:08 pm

this is a great book! Pick it up at the RAAF museum. I will soon be applying to remuster as a loadmaster, i'm hooked on anything Hurc.
Stay frosty,
Jason Carrick
ronnieraaf
Devotee

Postby asho77 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:00 am

ronnieraaf wrote:this is a great book! Pick it up at the RAAF museum. I will soon be applying to remuster as a loadmaster, i'm hooked on anything Hurc.

Good luck with it mate,I'm in a similar position though mine is a service transfer.Its a long road mate.

Thanks for the heads up Andrew,I have a 1/72 Herc waiting to be built and I think this book will be extremely valuable in its construction.Surely this book will be sold in the bigger book stores and the RAAF museum?
asho77
Devotee

Postby ronnieraaf » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:56 am

asho77 wrote:
ronnieraaf wrote:this is a great book! Pick it up at the RAAF museum. I will soon be applying to remuster as a loadmaster, i'm hooked on anything Hurc.

Good luck with it mate,I'm in a similar position though mine is a service transfer.Its a long road mate.

Thanks for the heads up Andrew,I have a 1/72 Herc waiting to be built and I think this book will be extremely valuable in its construction.Surely this book will be sold in the bigger book stores and the RAAF museum?

Thanks buddy. It's the reason I joined the RAAF, so I'm all guns for the trip as long as I get to my destination. Good luck with your app.

I got my copy from the RAAF museum. Great stuff. Was almost tempted to get another copy so I could cut out and frame some of the drawings for my model room (or AKA - the 'I love me room'). I was met with a glaring stare from the wife..... So I put the second copy back.
Stay frosty,
Jason Carrick
ronnieraaf
Devotee