Yeramba SPG


Yeramba SPG at Puckapunyal Victoria


Images by David Edwards

 

Introduction

The Yeramba was an Australian self-propelled howitzer built after the end of the Second World War in the late-1940s. They were produced by mounting the 25 pounder gun howitzer on an American M3A5 Grant tank hull, and were converted by the Ordnance Factory in Bendigo from 1950 to 1952. The Yeramba was withdrawn from service in 1957 after becoming obsolete and remains the only self-propelled artillery introduced into service by the Australian Army.

This vehicle is located at the Royal Australian Armoured Corps Memorial and Tank Museum in Puckapunyal.

The name is from the yeramba, an Aboriginal instrument for throwing spears.

The Images